Sure, there are tons of home projects you can DIY, but there are a few you should absolutely never attempt. Water damage restoration is definitely one of those projects. There are so many things that can go wrong with DIY'ing this project, all of which are good reasons to hire professional cleaning services and water damage restoration experts.
You Could Accidentally Spread Mold and Mildew
As you pull away walls and ceilings that are damaged by water, you may hit patches of mold and mildew. The spores from mold could become airborne and travel to other locations nearby, infecting this part of your house. Mildew is no better as it will just gravitate toward other wet areas and mass-reproduce. An expert knows how to contain an area where there may be even the slightest chance of mold and/or mildew, thus protecting the rest of your home.
Rotten Ceilings Can Collapse Causing Injury
If you have particularly bad water damage in a ceiling, grabbing and pulling at it could cause the whole area to collapse on your head. You could suffer some major head injuries when that happens. On top of that, you would then have to call in a contractor to reconstruct the parts of your ceiling that caved in on you. It just makes better sense to get a restoration expert in in the first place so that you do not risk those kinds of injuries.
Water Damage Messes Need to Be Cleaned up a Certain Way
Most water damage cleaning crews and restoration experts have to abide by certain rules and regulations to do the work that they do. Cleaning up is not just a matter of bagging the mess and tossing it curbside. It has to be contained and disposed of according to EPA rules and regulations. If it is found that you, an unlicensed homeowner, has tossed this kind of mess out with the rest of your usual trash, you could be fined.
Lead Paint or Asbestos May Be Involved
If your home was built prior to 1970, there is a very high chance that you have lead-based paint and/or asbestos in your walls and ceilings. When you have water damage in an old house like this, pulling asbestos loose can cause lung disease and dried particles of lead paint can cause brain damage. Since you do not know exactly what is behind your walls or above your ceilings, it is best to hand the job over to someone who can manage these dangerous substances, should they be encountered.
For more information, contact a business such as Continental Carpet Cleaning Restoration.